Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Another thought about biographies



The first book I can remember reading, in the 1950s, was a young adult biography of John Paul Jones.

That doesn’t mean I love biographies. Honestly, I don’t read them much.

My taste in history runs to chronologies, regional and epochal frames of reference, les longues durées of the French Annalistes….

Recently I jumped out of my comfort zone to read Can’t Be Satisfied: The Life and Times of Muddy Waters. I’m a fan of the blues, and original Delta blues is good times music for me. Muddy Waters and “Mannish Boy” are right up at the top of my list.


Robert Gordon, the author of this jam-packed Waters bio, offered this thought about his genre:
“Biography is the process of securing what is mutable. Undertaking the creation of one requires embracing the paradoxical: the writer is asked to create the skin and soul of a person, but not to inhabit it.”

That’s rather deep stuff, I think. It reminds me to mention that I’m no fan of the “great man” style of writing history, even when the great man is a great blues man.

Source:
Robert Gordon, Can’t Be Satisfied: The Life and Times of Muddy Waters (Little, Brown and Company, New York: 2002), xx.








Copyright © Richard Carl Subber 2016 All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment